From the Bell Towers of Notre-Dame de Paris ("Our Lady of Paris"), tourists, as well as the resident Gargoyles, enjoy quite a nice view of Paris. Here, the camera is looking west, which is downstream. To the left side of the Seine is the area called the "Left Bank," which includes the Eiffel Tower, an obvious landmark.
Notre Dame was built from 1163 on the site of a predecessor church dedicated to Saint Étienne. In Roman times the area was a sacred pagan site. The site is located on "Île de la Cité" ("The Island of the City"), one of two remaining natural islands in the Seine within the city of Paris. In the first century BC, a Gallic/Celtic tribe, the Parisii, appeared to live on this island.
This 10,700 pixel wide panorama was composed from 11 frames taken on September 13, 2011 with a Leica M9 camera and Zeiss 35mm lens. Three focus points assured high resolution from foreground to background.